Every year the locr team gathers in Germany for our annual meeting and a Christmas celebration. Of course, this year, we are unable to meet or to celebrate at the Christmas market.
But that won’t stop us from raising a glass of Glühwein! This year, we’re sharing a recipe for White Glühwein:
Here in Germany, we will miss the aromas and charms of our traditional Christmas market in Braunschweig this year. We have always enjoyed it, together with our international colleagues who have visited us at the locr headquarters in recent years. This year, we all can only experience the scent of all kinds of sweets, of roasted almonds and hot Feuerzangenbowle, of liquorice candy and spices from all over the world while we stay safe at home.
So, we have put together a few recipes to bring the tastes of a typical German Christmas market to your home – the wonderfully spicy smell of mulled wine and the tasty crunch of roasted almonds! And to add a little variety, how about white instead of red mulled wine and roasted almonds with a hint of coconut? Simply follow the steps of our recipes with just a few ingredients!
P.S. If you also want a recipe for red mulled wine, feel free to contact us! 😉
White mulled wine
You need this for about a quart of white mulled wine:
- 1 quart of white wine, e.g. Pinot Gris
- 2 shot glasses of brown rum
- 2 organic lemons
- 2 organic oranges
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 cloves
- 4 pieces star anise
- 4 very thin slices of ginger or half a teaspoon of ground ginger
- 6 tablespoons white rock candy
- Wash the oranges and lemons, then cut them in half and squeeze the juice from half of both fruits and put them into a large pot. Cut the other half of the fruits into slices and add them as well.
- Add the wine together with the other ingredients like spices, sugar, rum and ginger to the squeezed fruit juice in the pot. Heat it up while stirring slowly. The wine must never boil, otherwise the alcohol will be lost!
- Pour the heated and finished mulled wine through a sieve now and serve in cups with one slice of orange each.
- Sip the mulled wine – attention, it‘s hot! – and enjoy the feeling of Weihnachtsmarkt in your home!
Roasted coconut almonds
You need this for one serving (200g):
- 200 g whole almonds
- 50 g sugar
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 50 g grated coconut
- 15 g coconut oil
- 100 g white chocolate couverture
- Slightly roast the almonds without fat in a pan, remove and set aside.
- Melt the sugar with 1 tablespoon of water in the pan.
- Add the almonds to the sugar in the pan, add another tablespoon of water and mix everything until the sugar is dissolved again.
- Spread the almonds on baking paper and let them dry.
- Heat water in a larger pot on the stove. Melt the chocolate together with the coconut oil in a smaller pot over the water bath.
- Remove the pot from the heat and put the almonds into the liquid chocolate coating. Also add the coconut flakes and mix everything.
- Spread the almonds on a baking paper and let it harden in a cool place.
- Give away if you can or enjoy yourself and spread a little joy!